Business. Politics. News. Kazmania.

Monday, July 11, 2005

Canada's immigration problem

Lots of ink has been spilt taking about the dying Europe. Those on the left and right have talked about the low birth rate of the native Europeans and how their culture is being forgotten one generation at a time.

Yet no one seems to talk about Canada in the same way. After all, Canada does not yet have the same fertility problems that most European countries face. But this does not mean Canadian culture is not disappearing. Canada, for nearly all its history, has been highly dependent on immigrants like myself. In order to populate the vast land, our country has needed lots of us.

But in the past decade or so many of Canada’s new citizens have begun resenting their adopted land. Many first generation Canadians are, well, not Canadian at all.

Take my friend’s girlfriend for example. She had come from Toronto to California to visit us and was staying at my apartment. Somehow I started talking about the origins of the American national anthem and the war of 1812 where our red coats kicked some American ass and torched the White House. She responded by saying “Canadians fight? I didn’t know they had the balls.” I was about three seconds from throwing her out of my apartment. Instead I went on to explain Canada’s proud military history.

Now this young lady is not a dumb teenager. In fact she recently graduated 3rd in her class at University of Toronto. The fact that this new immigrant dislikes Canada and Canadians and still refers to her love for Iranians should be a cause for concern. The fact that she is not a least bit patriotic, at least not towards her adopted home, should have been grounds for refusing her citizenship.

Yet our country is filled with people like her, and their numbers are growing. At this rate, how long will it be before the majority of Canadians actively dislike their own country?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to immigration. In fact I favour unlimited immigration. I just think in order to become a new Canadian, at the very least, you ought to like Canada.

I still celebrate the day I got my Canadian citizenship (Feb 14th.) As far as I’m concerned, anyone who doesn’t, does not deserves theirs.

2 Comments:

Blogger Watch said...

I never said immigrants should not be allowed to criticize Canada. I simply said that in order to become a citizen of this country you ought to like it.

Many new citizens despise everything about Canada and Canadians. I know of many who treat Canada as temporary refuge from whatever crappy place they are from.

For the record, I said nothing bad about Canada or Canadians on Canada Day. In fact, for every Canada Day for as long as I can remember, I have taken some time to think about Canada and why I am so privileged to be here.

Feel free to try to paint anyone else you'd like as a xenophobe, but it's kind of hard to do it to someone who has my skin colour and my family history. I just want to know when Liberals will have any substantive insight into Canada’s immigration policy. It’s easy to scream racist, it’s harder to think about complex issues.

4:17 PM

 
Blogger Mark said...

What you're witnessing is a direct byproduct of multiculturalist ideology.

Canada calls nobody to give up their cultural traditions or native national pride, nor adopt a Canadian identity or exhibit any sort of allegiance to their new found home.

The message is that you can be an Iranian Canadian, an Indo Canadian, an African Canadian, an Iraqi Canadian, etc., etc. You don't have to assume a Canadian identity.

The result is a population that increasingly has no idea what it means to be Canadian, has no concept of our heritage nor allegiance to our flag.

8:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home