Business. Politics. News. Kazmania.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Sometimes Generals Say Stupid Things

I think it is important for conservatives to be mindful of what our military officers say. After all, our military is the most visible contact point that many foreigners have with Canada.

So we want our Generals to reflect Canadian values accurately. Certainly, we would not want something like this to happen in Canada. (In case you don't want to follow the link, this is an incident from a few years ago when a US Admiral in Japan talked about how a soldier should have just gone to a prostitute instead of raping a teenage girl.)

I say all of this to point out that I don't think outspoken Generals are a good thing. I am sure what Rick Hillier says is true. I am sure his reputation for being honest is well-earned. However, do we really want our Generals to be so public with their statements? Would we not rather have the civillian leaders of her Majesty's military speak about it?

I don't care if they are Liberals or even NDPers, I think General Hillier speaking to the press is like any other Deputy Minister speaking to the press.. it's just a bad idea.

1 Comments:

Blogger Watch said...

I'm pretty sure that I'm for the
"Open borders, free trade, no taxes," part of the deal.

Look, I'm pro-army. I'm pro well equiped army. I'm just against Generals outshining their civillian bosses.

11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home