Business. Politics. News. Kazmania.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

I Do Not Consent to Being Searched

This is brilliant. Although the tactics being used by NYPD are the very tactics that I have advocated for some time, I think it is brilliant for a civil libertarian to point out that what the NYPD is doing may fall under the definition of "unreasonable search."

I think there may be a legal argument there.

However, I think it is a weak one. After all, similar searches are conducted at the airport.

More on this later.. along with the promised China post.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lord Kitchener's Own said...

Wow, those T-shirts are great! I don't think I'd wear one on a subway in New York though! Seems like wearing a big neon sign that says "search me, I'm an aggitator!"

Still, great T!

Thanks for the link!

4:10 PM

 
Blogger Lord Kitchener's Own said...

On the broader idea of randomly searching bags, I read a quote on that I thought was quite thought provoking:

"Every time a bag is searched, a terrorist smiles."

Interesting thought. I mean, if it's a victory for the terrorists if I decide to change my plans and not go to London next week (which I will NOT do, screw them) then isn't it a victory for the terrorists if we start randomly searching the bags of subway passengers? I don't mean to suggest there's an easy answer to that, but it's worth asking.

4:22 PM

 
Blogger Lord Kitchener's Own said...

Wow, in the preview, that link above was perfect! Oh well. Sorry!

:-)

4:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home